- Website Designer
- Front End Developer
- UX Designer
- UI Designer
- Content Marketing (Specialist)
- SEO Search Engine Optimizer
Web design and production specialists are a specific type of desktop publisher that creates web designs and content. Web specialists work for media companies, technology firms, non-profit agencies, government and many other entities.
Website design and production specialists:
- Use computer software to create, edit and maintain web sites.
- Perform website maintenance.
- Identify and solving problems related to website design and performance.
- Producing and enhance digital imagery.
- Work closely with teams and vendors.
For those who want more responsibilities in the creation and maintenance of websites, becoming a web developer should be considered.
Web developers plan what type of site is needed, create the programming code, add content such as graphics and videos, work out bugs and monitor traffic to the site.
Available Certificates and Degrees
Certificate of Achievement, Multimedia Studies, Authoring Specialty – 27.5 units
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 4 semesters.
- Estimated Cost: $1,481 in tuition and fees plus $30 in books & supplies.
Associate Degree, Multimedia Studies, Authoring Specialty – 46.5+ units
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 4-5 semesters.
- Estimated Cost: $2,409 in tuition and fees plus $30 in books & supplies.
Why College of Marin?
COM is the place to get your career started fast. You can finish the certificate in 3 semesters. And a high number of students have jobs before they even finish the program!
- State-of-the-art Facilities: COM has amazing facilities. This includes a beautiful new $2m building fitted out with new huge 32” monitors iMacs, doubling with Windows or Mac and fast Wi-Fi. Moreover, at COM, you will also learn the most current versions of software.
- Real-world, Project-based Learning: The classes are project-based. This means that you to finish work that will become part of your portfolio, key to your future career. COM’s program also includes an internship, which is the key to successful transition into the workplace. An internship builds your real-world experience, making you more employable.
- Affordable and Accessible: College of Marin classes are open to all and cost only $46 per unit for California residents. Financial aid and student support services are available to those who qualify. Class meeting times and locations are convenient to the working student’s schedule.
- Small Class Size: Most classes have 10-22 students. This low student-to-teacher ratio allows instructors to work individually with students as needed while covering material in-depth.
- Location & Scheduling Convenience: COM has two campuses in Kentfield and Novato. Evening, weekend, and online classes are available for a wide range of scheduling needs.
Plan your Education
View the classes you need to take to complete your certificate or degree in Multimedia Studies, Authoring at College of Marin.
READY TO GET STARTED?
- Enroll Now at marin.edu
- Questions: Contact Counseling
- (415) 485-9432
- (415) 485-9430
Multimedia Studies Dept.
(415) 457-8811 x8205
Full-time Faculty: James Gonzalez, Derek Wilson
Part-time Faculty: Jeff Abouaf, James Helmer
Multimedia Studies Advisory Committee
Luisa Ayala, Entropic Design Studios, San Rafael | Ryan Bond, Game Producer | Julian Hoover, Owner/Principal, Bright House Media | John Macleod, Managing Director at Marinovation Learning Center Makerspace | Grant Rogers, Producer at Disruptive Games | Jena Scholten, Operations Efficiency and Internal Graphic Design, Bay Photo Lab | Todd Walker, CEO, Entropic Design Studios, San Rafael | Bobbi Wilson, Worldwide Print Marketing, HP, Inc.
For more information about College of Marin graduation and completion rates, the median debt of students who have completed our programs, and other important gainful employment information, please visit www1.marin.edu/gainful-employment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does it take to earn the certificate?
Are there any pre-requisites?
What software do I need to buy?
None specifically, all software can be used at the college. Trial or free academic versions may be used at home. That said, depending on your specific interests, it can be helpful to budget up to $400 for software.
Can I take classes in the evening or online?
You have plenty of online learning options – some course have online options to take classes at the time that is right for you.
Do I need to buy a computer?
You may use the computers at school in the classroom or the open labs. It is convenient to have a current computer to work on from home.
Will I have flexibility with my work as a Web Designer?
It depends on the job you take. In general, Web Design has plenty of flexibility, such as plenty of freelance opportunities.
Can I take classes in the evening or online?
You have plenty of online learning options – every single course has online options to take classes at the time that is right for you.
How do I get started?
To get started, you need to enroll at College of Marin and should meet with a career counselor (who can help you with planning your education, direct you to financial alternatives, and more!)