Industry Certifications for Career Education
Career education is all about getting you ready and improving your career prospects. That’s why College of Marin offers a number of industry certifications to enhance our programs.
Auto Technology/Electronic Instruments
Earn 3 Certifications with one class: Multimeter, Automotive Scanner Diagnostics Certification, and Mechanical and Electronic Torque Instrument Certification in conjunction with Snap-On Tools:
- Take AUTO 139J – Electronic Instrument Certification – 3 units
- Certification Information:
- Multimeter Certification – Become a power user of digital multimeters. Learn how to perform the initial safety and reliability checks on you meter and effectively utilize 90% of all available features. Download Snap-on Multimeter pdf for more details
- Automotive Scanner Diagnostics Certification – Today’s vehicles require computerized diagnostics to properly identify problems. Become adept at working with automotive scanner controls, with troubleshooting techniques. Download Snap-on Scanner pdf for more details
- Mechanical and Electronic Torque Instrument Certification – Develop thorough knowledge of torque theory and master the complexities of proper tightening of fasteners. Download Snap-on Torque pdf for more details
Computer Information Systems
Cisco CompTIA A+ Certification
- Take CIS 120 IT Essentials (4 units, estimated cost: $210 in tuition and fees; $10 in books & supplies).
- Cisco Level 1 exam available thru College of Marin.
- About this Certificate: Completing your CompTIA A+ certification is excellent for helpdesk and higher positions, including entry-level networking career opportunities.
Questions? Call Nicole Cook, Cisco Instructor (415) 457-8811 x7610
MS Office Specialist Certification
Students who successfully complete the coursework in a MS Office application will have the opportunity to take the corresponding MS Office Specialist certification exam for FREE.
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Word
- CIS 102 Beginning Word – 1.5 units
- CIS 103 Intermediate Word – 1.5 units
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Access
- CIS 117 Access Database Design – 1.5 units
- CIS 127 Intermediate Access – 1.5 units
- CIS 137 Advanced Access – 1.5 units
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Excel
- CIS 118 Excel Spreadsheet Design – 1.5 units
- CIS 128 Intermediate Excel – 1.5 units
Questions? Call CIS Department – A Joe Ritchie (415) 457-8811 x7598
View the College of Marin Computer Information Systems program page.
Dental Assisting (Registered)
College of Marin is approved by the Dental Board of California. Our Registered Dental Assisting program prepares you for industry certification/licensing:
- Successful completion of College of Marin’s Dental Assisting program teaches you the dental assisting skills you need to pass the State of California Registered Dental Assisting boards. College of Marin does not administer this exam. For further details of educational and other requirements, see the Dental Board of California’s Applicant webpage.
- As a student of our Registered Dental Assisting program, you will earn these additional certifications as part of the program. These certifications are required by the State of California for the responsibilities performed:
- Radiation Safety
- Infection Control
- Coronal Polish
- Pit & Fissure Sealants
For more details about dental assisting education at the College of Marin, see the Registered Dental Assisting program page.
Emergency Medical Technician (Fire Technology)
College of Marin is a state-approved agency to provide Emergency Medical Services (EMS) training.
College of Marin prepares you to take the exam, but does not administer the exam. The exam is administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. To learn more about the NREMT exam, see www.nremt.org
College of Marin also offers continuing education (CE) courses for those who need to recertify.
See the Fire Technology program page for full details about the courses we offer and re-certification requirements.
ServSafe Food Manager Certification
The ServSafe Manager Certification is a nationally recognized and accredited credential for food safety and sanitation workers. The ServSafe training program provides resources to help keep food safety an essential ingredient in every meal.
- Take HOSP 110 Safety and Sanitation course (3 units)
- Sign up for and pass the ServSafe Food Safety Manager Exam – offered periodically through the College of Marin and at other locations in the Bay Area.
- Other details: California law requires that all food establishments have at least one certified Certified Food Manager (CFM) or Person in Charge, either an owner or an employee, who has successfully passed an approved and accredited food safety certification. Having this certification is key to opening up doors in the food service industry.
View the College of Marin Hospitality Management program page to learn more about hospitality education.
College of Marin prepares you to take the California Real Estate exam, as administered by the California Bureau of Real Estate (CALBRE). College of Marin does not administer this exam; see the CALBRE website for full exam details.
The Real Estate courses are grouped around preparation for CALBRE licensing for salesperson or broker examination:
- Each of the Skills Certificates will qualify you to take the Salesperson Exam (meet licensing educational requirements). All include REAL 115 Real Estate Practice and REAL 116 Real Estate Principles. You must also take a third class, and you can choose which one you take depending on your career interests. Other requirements apply; see the CALBRE page for salesperson license.
- The Certificate of Achievement and Associate Degree plus two additional courses (chosen from a list of options) will meet the educational requirements for the Real Estate Broker Exam (meet licensing educational requirements). For full details and to see all requirements; see the CALBRE page for brokers license.
To view College of Marin real estate education options, see the Real Estate program page.