SunPower Solar Energy Academy
This class has ended – info for reference only. Check back in March-April 2019 for next summer’s class.
Inspiring a New Generation of STEM Innovators
The solar energy academy is an immersive work-based learning experience. Students collaborate on teams as a solar start-up company designing a residential system. Through hands-on activities, field visits and lectures from solar professionals, students learn about project scope, design, financial and environmental economics leading the industry.
The internship culminates on the final day of the academy, when student teams deliver their high-quality presentations to school officials, community members and family. By closing, students will be prepared to speak confidently about their residential solar projects and renewable energy careers.
Academy Highlights include:
- 40 hours of solar work-based learning
- 100% free – no cost to students
- Lunch and materials included
- Learn to sell and design a residential solar electric system
- Participate in a field trip to a local green organization
- Listen to lectures by industry professionals
- Earn a certificate of achievement
Dates: 5 days: Monday, June 25 through Friday, June 29
Times: 8:30am-to 4:30pm
Location: Indian Valley Campus in Novato.
Cost: There is no cost for this course; it is an internship program with hands-on experience.
The academy helps participants put NGSS in action, providing a venue to master solar-focused content while developing work-ready skills. Students are trained to work in groups, problem solve collaboratively, delegate tasks, create a professional presentation and present to a large public audience. Both students and teachers gain valuable experience applying STEM disciplines to professional projects.
This Academy is for high school students grades 10 through recent graduates.
College of Marin hosts this academy in partnership with SunPower Corporation and the Northern California Career Pathway Alliance and the Marin County Office of Education. For questions see the NCCPA website or contact SunPower.
|Day One||Solar Basics|
|Day Two||Renewables and Sustainability|
|Day Three||Exploration and Economics|
|Day Four||Careers and Opportunities|
|Day Five||Final Presentations|
Questions? Contact Jesse Madsen at email@example.com.
SunPower Corporation, in partnership with the Northern California Career Pathways Alliance, Marin County Office of Education, and College of Marin is providing a 5-day summer internship experience for select high school students. Participants will gain an in-depth knowledge of residential photovoltaic system design and finance.
Applying for College of Marin Career Academies
- You may apply to (and be accepted to) more than one Career Academy.
- Cost: For all classes, TUITION IS WAIVED FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS! Other fees may apply.
- Location: Most classes are at College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus; see class descriptions for details.
- Program acceptance: You will be notified by email by Friday, May 11 if you have been accepted into the career program(s) you have applied to.
- Orientation Requirement: You MUST be able to attend one of these mandatory orientations (if you are accepted into more than one Career Academy, you only need attend orientation once):
- Saturday, May 19, 10-11:30am at College of Marin Kentfield Campus, Rm AC255
- Wednesday, May 23, 6-7:30pm at Marin County Office of Education, 1111 Las Gallinas Ave, San Rafael, CA 94903